Tattler 1
Tattler 2
Tattler 3
Tattler 4

The Town Tattler

by the Arenzvillians


    BE IT RESOLVED that we, the ARENZVILLIANS, on this 4th day of July, A.D. 1945, the 169th anniversary of the signing of Independence

    DO HEREBY renew our pledge to support and foster the principles our forefathers fought and died to attain and for which you, our sons and daughters, are even now fighting to maintain. In support of your ernest efforts the least we can do is gladly offer you those things of which we are capable--food, materials, and money--truly insignificant when compared to your great sacrifice but which will, we sincerely trust, make your taskt a little easier, a little safer and a little shorter. May your job soon be completed ONCE AND FOREVER!

    The Seventh War Bond Drive closed Saturday with the bank and post office reporting the total sales as $116,835.60 or about $13,000 over the quota.

    The Beardstown bridge, which has been closed for the past 13 months, was reopened for traffic last week. The bridge has been closed for highway traffic across the Illinois river since last April 30, 1944, when an LST going down stream, hit the bridge and completely wrecked the draw span. By the way, this same LST took an important part in a recent invasion in the South Pacific.

    T/Sgt. Wilbur Charlesworth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Charlesworth, is a member of a Quartermaster Company cited by Major General E. Ross, chief of Transporation, European Theater of Operations, for its work in supplying transportation for Loire, Brittany and Normandy Base sections.

    Before V-E Day, the drivers rushed gasoline and ammunition to the front, in spite of strafing. Since V-E Day, the Yellow Diamond highway, the motor transport route from Nancy, France to the Italian border, has handled even more supplies than during the fighting.

    The 3890th Quartermaster Company, of which Wilbur is a member, is one of 23 truck companies which operate the Yellow Diamond Line and which have moved an average of 10,000 tons a day over the route since V-E Day. In addition to hauling supplies for idle combat units, the truck companies have carried displaced persons and prisoners of war to the rear, and conveyed out going American units to port.

    The company has been in France since August, 1944.

    Pfc. Dale Burrus is spending a 30 day furlough at home after being in Iceland for 2 1/2 years. He will report to Ft. Sam Houston, Texas.

    Pete Filey is a civilian again after receiving an honorable discharge under the point system. He is now driving Joe Hobrock's truck hauling limestone.

    Arenzville citizens were all outside in spite of the rain last Sunday to watch a plane cut a few capers over the Pfolsgrof residence. It was quite thrilling to know that the pilot of that "huge bug" was Ralph Pfolsgrof, grandson of Mrs. Anna Pfolsgrof. He was enroute to a camp in Texas after enjoying a furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Merle Pfolsgrof of Chicago.

    Bob Brasells' are the proud parents of a daughter, Emily Ann, born June 27th.

    Earl Niestradt has returned to Davisville, R. I. after spending a 10 day leave with his folks and Mildred. The Navy hasn't changed him a bit--same ole Earl. We were mighty glad to see him "buzzing" around in that Chevie again.

    Mrs. Elda Staake recently received the Purple Heart awarded to her son Dick, fo ran injury to his lower lip. Hope you are fully recovered by this time, Dick.

    Lester Buck passed away Sunday, July 8th. He suffered a stroke on Tuesday of that week. We miss him in the group of men that often gather on main street to discuss the news of the day.

    Mayor Hart has been attending a banking school in New Jersey for the past two weeks.

    Robert Roegge is employed at the freight office in Beardstown.

    Lady: "How were you wounded, my kind man?"
    Soldier: "By a shell, lady."
    Lady: "Did it explode?"
    Soldier: "No. It crept up close and bit me!"

    Mrs. Corrine Peck, mother of Sgt. Melvon Peck, has moved into the home formerly occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Reno and son.

    Floyd Mason has been in the hospital for a few days for observation.

    Russell "Wicks" Lutkehus spent last week end at home. He is still stationed at Great Lakes, Illinois.

    Military funeral services for Lt. Edgar Green, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Green of Beardstown, who was fatally burned in a plane accident in McKinney, Texas, Sunday night, June 3rd, were held on June 9th at Winnfield, Louisiana. Edgar used to visit in Arenzville quite a lot and was well known in this community.

    Wendell Wessler passed his physical exam in Chicago and is awaiting his call to service. While in Chicago, he visited with his aunt and uncle, Rev. and Mrs. K. B. Neumann and family. Mrs. Neumann is the former Gwendolyn Proudfit.

    Mrs. George Lovekamp purchased the home vacated by the Lyman Peck family and will move there soon.

    Billy Thyen had the misfortune to injure his right eye recently when he fell on a lever on a tractor. He reports that he had a pretty swell time with the nurses while he was in the hospital for a few days. However, he'd still prefer fishing to laying in bed -- (except early of a morning). He has partial vision in the injured eye and we hope that he will soon "begin to see the light" with both eyes.

    Mrs. Alvin Paul and daughter Barbara have taken up residence at Copperas Cove, Texas to be near Alvin who is only a few miles away at Camp Hood.

    We believe congratulations are in order for Gene McGinnis, a former resident of Arenzville, who wa promoted to Captain a few months back. We're a bit late, but "better late than never."

    There were two guys, Shot and Not--Not was Shot--and Shot was Not. Would you rather be Shot or Not?

    Howard McLin is spending a 30 day furlough with his mother Mrs. Mart Briggs and Mr. Briggs, after returning from the European theatre of war.

    Glen "Dutch" Lovekamp, Wayne Kolberer, Gerald Jones, and Ches Lutkehus have had the pleasure of meeting in Hawaii. Bet they sure made the Arenzville gossip fly.

    Rev. and Mrs. Ray Witt and Peter Ray are enjoying a months vacation with relatives in Ontario, Canada.

    Orville Werts spent a week end recently with Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wildt. He is convalesing at a hospital in Chicago. Orville has been a German prisoner since August and was liberated in May. He has been in the service since March, 1943.

    We are most happy to have one of our former receivers of the Tattler at home and helping with the publishing of this issue. It's none other than Charlie Ham. "Confussious" was discharged July 1st with 92 points. Looks like always, except with less hair. He lost that while overseas from worrying about the little gal (or should I say gals?) that he left back in the States. Chas was overseas 34 months. He too has taken to truck driving --- can be seen "herding" Earl Schnitkers big trailer to St. Louis several nights a week.

    A few words from Chas. "Have returned to the fair city and can say it is a "wonderful feeling" and a swell place to come home to. Incidently, heres a tip for those of you who have prospects of being discharged. Cooks, clerks, and truck drivers were classified essential when I was discharged--so if any of you fellows are classified as such, I advise you to see some one in the orderly room and have it changed before you start through the channels, as the classification you have when you leave your unit stays with you all the way through."

    Clyde Wheeler returned to Camp Grubler, Okla. Saturday after spending a furlough with Mr. and Mrs. Lee Wheeler and family. He expects to be moved soon.

    Carol Niemann has arrived here to spend a 30 day leave with his wife and son, Eric, and other relatives. Carol has been aboard a mine sweeper in the South Pacific.

    Another Arenzvillian has received his discharge under the point system. Tony Pfolsgrof and his wife Doris are visiting with Mrs. Anna Pfolsgrof and Mrs. Thornton Stamper and daughter. Tony received his discharge on July 7th after 53 months in the service. He has three battle stars for campaigns at Attu, Leyte, and the Marshall Islands.

    Mrs. Robert Clark of Washington, Iowa has been visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Clark.

    Fred Knight spent a few days here recently with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Batis.

    Mrs. Raymond Owens has received word from her husband that he has arrived in Hawaii. Previous to his overseas assignment he was in training at Ft. Knox, Ky. and qualified as a tank driver.

    Arnold Meyer has been transferred from Sheppard Field, Texas to Ft. Worth, Texas.

    We want to express our sympathy to the Robert Lovekamp family in the loss of their wife and mother. Minnie passed away on June 24th. Services were held at the St. John's Lutheran church at Beardstown with Rev. Edwin Sommers officiating. Burial was in the Lutheran cemetery at Arenzville.

    Mr. and Mrs. John Saylor and daughters Yvonne and Joyce of Centralia, Ill. have been visiting with relatives here.

    Floyde Schone, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schone, has recently been awarded the E.T.O. ribbon with two bronze stars for service in France and Germany. He is now stationed at Kitzberel, Austria. He writes that he saw Himmlers car, which was in the Motor pool of his outfit and that he had taken pictures of it.

    Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brown have returned to Memphis, Tenn. after a visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brown and his sister Shirley. Charles received a medical discharge from the army following shrapnel wounds received on Bouganville.

    Malcolm K. Zulauf, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Zulauf, has been awarded the bronze star medal and a citation for distinguished service in action as a soldier of the 329th Infantry in Germany on April 15th. He is still in Germany but expects to be here in several months.

    The citation describes an action in which Malcolm and two other enlisted men destroyed a nest of German snipers which had been disrupting the American supply lines. Several Yanks had been wounded. The three soldiers discovered the position of the Nazis, killed three of them and caused the rest to with draw, working all the while in the face of automatic weapons.

    Eldore Nobis has returned to the Mayo General Hospital at Galesburg after a 30 day furlough with Ruby and Denny.

    Johnny and Stanley Lovekamp, Esther Mallicoat and Dolores Lovekamp are employed at the Glove Factory in Beardstown for the summer months.

    Jim Manker is home on a 15 day leave. He has been transferred from Tompkinsville, New York, to the U.S. Naval Amphibious Training Base at Little Creek, Va.

    1st Lt. Milton Streuter, M.C.A.U.S., spent several days in Arenzville recently. He has been at Wesley Hospital finishing a residency in surgery after completing his internship at Cook Co. Hospital. At the termination of his furlough, he reported to Carlisle, Pa. for 2 months training and then he will possibly go oversea.

    Walt Roegge had some bad luck a couple weeks ago. During a heavy rain and wind storm, a large tree fell on his car and mashed it considerably.

    Norman "Bud" Davis spent a leave with his mother, Norma Davis and his grandmother, Mrs. Ella Davis. Upon his return to the Great Lakes, he was transferred to a Naval Training Hospital Corp School at Bainbridge, Md.

    Mr. and Mrs. Lambert Meyer and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Meyer and family have been enjoying their vacations with Mr. and Mrs. John Meyer.

    Virgil Buck was called home from Puerto Rico because of the death of his father, Lester Buck. He and Mrs. Buck will spend his furlough with his mother and other relatives.

    Ralph Hendricker, who his stationed in Kingman, Arizona, has been enjoying a furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hendricker and family.

    Virgil Coughlin has been transferred from Orlando, Florida to Will Rogers Field, Oklahoma City, Okla.

    Ralph "Spud" Clark writes Jeane that he has arrived in Hawaii. Spud was at Camp Robinson for his 15 weeks of basic training, after which he spent a furlough at home with Jeane, Lanni and Debbie. He reported to Fort Ord, California and left for overseas on June 13th.

    Bob Niemann graduated recently from a cooking and baking school at Pensacola, Florida.

    Lt. Commander Fred Engelbach and family have been visiting with the Harts'. Dr. Engelbach returned to the States recently after spending 21 months in the Pacific. He will report to Maryland for special training.

    Robert Fanning, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Fanning, has been transferred from Scott Field to Geiger Field, Spokane, Washington where he is taking special training.

    That Eldore Nobis is such a fast mover that we can hardly keep up with him. He is home now for 60 days and will report to Miami Beach, Florida in September.

    Twenty-four names have been added to the list on the Honor Roll. Our thanks to Edwin McKinley for doing the work with out charge.


Other issues: April 1945 - May 1945 - Memorial Day 1945

With thanks to David Beard for sharing the copy he found in his dad's belongings
of this issue of The Town Tattler.


Home ] Personal pages ] Photos ] Stories ] Parade ] Tattler ]

Copyright 2002, Molly Daniel. This page last updated 12/20/2003.